Saturday, December 13, 2008

Time to Blog

Lately, it seems like there is just not enough hours in the day. Friday, I got off at 8:15 a.m. and was too tired to go to the gym. I did not think I would make the eight mile drive home. Good thing I only experienced one red light (no going to sleep at the wheel drama there, thank God). I got home, fixed me a snack (night shift had eatten early because we had a spread for Jose who is going to days), so I was 9 hours without food. I could have snacked again when everybody else was, but I am trying to be good. So I come home and blow my diet with a chicken sandwich with a beer. Then 5 seconds later I'm out like a light in the chair. I decided that I was that totally sleepy because I ate mega-carbs...pizza and cake.

I slept most of Friday away, and got up just as the sun was going down. It was certainly crisp outside. Dave was burning the branches from the mesquite tree and it smelled so good. Then we watched t.v. until the wee hours. I have been up since about 8 since I couldn't sleep (night-shift) and by the time Dave gets up I'll be sleepy again. I hate having everything backwards, but I love working nights. I love that I can look though the charts and actually get a real grasp on what is going on with my patient's, instead of just pushing pills and papers all day. I love that my co-workers are my friends...I would hang out with them anytime. I'm blessed to have a job that I love.

Dave doesn't get why I like to blog. It's my de-stresser. Who needs Xanax when they have blogger? Who needs Ativan when they can go and read other peoples blogs. I don't lead an exciting life...and I am easily entertained, LOL, I figure this beats watching info-mercials for junk I don't want.

Guess it's time to try to wake up the sleeping prince, so we can go get out Christmas tree.

6 comments:

Reddirt Woman said...

Amen about the de-stresser. One of the things I missed most on this trip was time to just sit and veg and read everyone's blog and check out some new ones. I didn't realize how much it soothed the savage beast to go live in other people's lives for a bit every day. Sometimes others besides the Prince don't get it. Oh, well, Ginger, we do what we gotta do.

Good post.

Reddirt Woman said...

Ginger... update on the puppies is now up. They are getting so big.

Helen

Aleta said...

I agree with you about blogging. It helps to de-clutter the mind!

It's interesting that you like the night shift. Why is it that you feel you can get to know the patients more at night versus the day?

I know a lot of people who work nights and can't stand it. My brother sleeps in the day and works on computers at night. He's the night owl in the family.

shrimplate said...

I love the smell of burning mesquite.

GingerJar said...

Aleta: At night, when all the family leaves, and there is nothing on the t.v. is when people have time to think about their diagnosis wondering if they are going to live or not. That is when they worry about the surgery the next day and if they are going to bleed to death. We all tend to go to the worst case scenerio's and the standard consent forms aren't reassuring by the time they tell you everything that can possibly happen to you. People need reassurance, sometimes they just need somebody to talk to. I get to hear about grandchildren, husbands, parents that died young, ... you name it. Pets, so many of the elderly Snow Birds that come here may be the only ones left in their family ... their pets are their children. I have so many beautiful memories that have been shared with me tucked away. Patient's show me their pictures, their personalities, their strengths and their fears. Sometimes a listening ear is as good as a healing hand.

Aleta said...

Thank you for answering my question and oh my, what a beautiful response ~ to know they shared those moments with you and that ~ you, in return, treasure it. What a gift.