Monday, April 30, 2007

Work, work, work, work

Saturday night I got called off, here that means you are on call for free all night. Cannot drink a beer, cannot take a Lunesta to sleep, must be ready for that freaking phone to ring all night...lucky for it and my migraine it did not ring...but shit...not like having a night off, right.

Then you come into work on Sunday and everyone is pissed you didn't come in on Saturday and take your regular group...like you had a choice, and you opted out on getting paid or something....jesus.

Then your "not your patient" guy who is confused and in room 26...not your patient, but your very familiar with him as he is a frequent flyer...there every week with chest pain, anxiety. Last week he was there (too funny), he didn't want the foley cath even though he was on Lasix and bedrest....Oh did I mention he was a Mayor in a Local town...and has demential...and thinks everyone is his employee...and OH MY GOD...he must HAVE been a TYPE A personality...because EVERYTHING has to be done NOW....this second? Ok, back to last week and the foley problem...well.... he (thank god was not my patient that day) climbed over the bedrail and DISCONNECTED the foley FROM the collection bag and strolled down the very public hall way, penis swinging, piss aflying...happy as a lark...until somebody chased him down, reconnected him to his happy bag and called for "clean up on aisle 3"!!!!! Shortly thereafter he made Hospial History for begging to be allowed to go and pee in the hallway...."please disconnect this bag so I can go and pee in the hallway,,,,, please!"

Please....somebody stop the insanity...at home, if he doesn't get his way...immediately...he has *chest pain* *abdominal pain* *nausea*...and his "heart palpations" which earns him the RIGHT to be taken the EMERGENCY room of his FAVORITE facility...where is is always admitted...always goes though a battery of tests which .....dat dat da! SHOW NOTHING EXCEPT HE has a normal heart rate, normal enzymes...and IS JUST experiencing demential...

Last night, the MD's in all their wisdom decided to d/c any and all anti-anxiety medications...in order to NOT mask the symptoms for the psych
MD when HE DECIDES TO VISIT.>>> remember this is Sunday and we won't see the smiling face of the pleasant pysch MD until at least Tuesday...so Mr. Anxiety was on the button every 5 minutes and calling "GIRL COME HERE" ....."BOY COME HERE NOW" all night long. I was not his nurse...but he could see me....his pee must be emptied before it is allowed to cool, his commode must be scoured everytime he looks at it. clean his table, move his trash, open his door, close his door, light on, light off, blanket on, blanket off....come on....arn't you his personal servent...mercy of light????

His nurse sat at the other station...she left on time...following her shift...ME...I worked 1 1/2 after my shift charting on the work I managed to accomplish on my own assigned patients...my new admit, my NGT going to surgury w/ small bowel obstruction, my patient going for Greenfield filter (with consent, med reconciliation, and checklist all completed and prep done) ....

I'm tired. I hope the Mayor goes home before my next assigned shift...maybe I should have stayed a secretary after all. *sigh*

No comments: